Looking for a heart-friendly, weigh-loss diet? Try the Mediterranean diet
There are a number of weight-loss methods that focus on the rapid loss of weight. However, rapid is not always sustainable. The two important characteristics that a weight-loss method must possess are that it must be healthy and it must be sustainable without having any long term disadvantage.
A Mediterranean diet is characterised by a diet that includes significant consumption of plant-based foods, poultry and seafood. It is a WHO recognized dietary pattern. More than a kind of diet, the Mediterranean diet can be defined better as a healthy eating lifestyle, thereby making it sustainable.
Here is what the Mediterranean diet consists of
The important attributes of the Mediterranean diet are:
– It involves the consumption of more fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, seafood, etc.
– Poultry and eggs are also a part of this diet.
– Limited consumption of red meat is involved.
– Consumption of added sugars, processed foods, refined oils, etc. is avoided.
– Consumption of alcohol in moderate amounts is allowed.
Mediterranean diet is extremely flexible making it easy to accommodate in one’s lifestyle. One can follow it according to their own objective and preference.