How useful is nutmeg (jayfal) in boosting your immunity
We all know staying at home, getting vaccinated and working on our immunity are our best bets to boost our immunity. While we all have tried all the traditional teas, kadhas and concoctions to keep our immunity strong, here is something new you can try.
Nutmeg commonly known as Jayfal is an age-old remedy to boost immunity. It’s a warm spice, which is used to flavour sweets and has strong antibacterial properties that can help boost the immune system. Nutmeg is high in fibre and helps you feel fuller for longer. You can add a bit of nutmeg powder to your tea to keep the extra kilos away.
Nutmeg is native to Indonesia and is the seed of an evergreen tree known as Myristica Fragrans. The tree is now also grown in south India.
How to consume nutmeg to boost immunity
A hot cup of milk, half a teaspoon of honey, crushed cardamom and 2 pinches of nutmeg powder. The concoction will not just boost your immunity but will also help you in getting a good night’s sleep.
Other health benefits of nutmeg
– The calming effect of nutmeg is great for people suffering from insomnia when consumed regularly in small doses for a long time.
– If you are suffering from insomnia, try a pinch of nutmeg with a glass of milk before going to bed.
– It’s great for treating joint pain. Nutmeg contains many essential volatile oils such as myristicin, elemicin, eugenol and safrole that work wonders for joint pain.
– It enhances the secretion of digestive enzymes and the fibre in it enhances the bowel movement. It also helps relieve gas.
– Nutmeg may also enhance sex drive and performance. It helps in increasing both libido and potency, which can be attributed to the nervous stimulating property.
– Eugenol is nutmeg is said to help in relieving toothache
– Freshly prepared decoction with honey is used to treat nausea, gastritis and indigestion elements
– A study done on rats shows that high-dose of nutmeg extract can reduce blood sugar levels and enhance pancreatic function.